What will PWP schools receive?
In addition to quality professional development for the whole staff and Project Teams, schools will receive exclusive materials and guidance to introduce and embed the Talk for Writing approach across the whole school. These high quality materials will be shared with Project Teams over the two years for them to use back in school.
Examples of of some of the materials provided to support whole school implementation of Talk4Writing are:
- Introductory DVD introducing the staff to the 3Is (Imitation, Innovation and Invention). The DVD also includes some Early Years examples.
- A DVD to illustrate the Talk for Writing teaching sequence within a unit of work.
- Banks of stories for EYFS, KS1 and KS2.
- Language feature progression guides from Reception to Year 6
- Progression toolkits for teaching poetry, fiction and non fiction writing
- Grammar games and activities
- Vocabulary games and activities
- Spelling games and activities
- Materials to support the development of staff subject knowledge
Getting started on the basics
Getting Started 1: Case study on developing handwriting across the school click here.
What’s the use of handwriting? click here. Latest research from Jane Medwell (University of Nottingham) and David Wray (University of Warwick)
Getting Started 2: Guidance and support on developing your whole school literature spine and read aloud programme click here.
For links to the latest Talk for Writing publications click here.
For links to the latest Talk for Writing national conferences click here.
Some other key publications and research that underpin the Primary Writing Project and Talk4Writing approach that you may find useful:
- Black, P. and Wiliam, D. (1998) Inside the Black Box: Raising Standards through Classroom Assessment, London: Kings College School of Education
- Clarke, S. (2003) Enriching Feedback, London: Hodder and Stoughton
- Clarke, S. (2014) Outstanding Formative Assessment – Culture and Practice, Hodder Education
- Chambers, A. (1995) Tell Me: Children, Reading, and Talk, Stenhouse Publishers
- Dweck, C. S. (2006) Mindset, Random House
- Hattie, J. (2009) Visible Learning, Routledge
- Hattie, J. (2012) Visible Learning for teachers, Routledge
- Tennent, W. Reedy, D. Hobsbaum, A. Gamble, N (2016) Guiding Reading- Layers of meaning. A Handbook for teaching reading comprehension, UCL IOE Press
- Wiliam, D. (2011) Embedded Formative Assessment, Solution Tree Press